lord chesterfield letter to his son purpose

1899. He changes his tone, and uses different language styles to be able to convince his son to follow the values, and advices in the letter written to him.

Eugenia Stanhope, the impoverished widow of Chesterfield's illegitimate son, Philip Stanhope was the first to publish the book Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and a Gentleman (1774), which comprises a thirty-year correspondence in more than four hundred letters.

Oxford: Oxford University Press, USA, 2008. Chesterfield uses a number of literary devices in his letter such as metaphors, imageries, anastrophe, tonal shift and many others. Chesterfield uses different tones, and language devices to make pass his intended information to his son. Read the passage carefully. Chesterfield, Lord. Print.

Oxford: Oxford University Press, USA, 2012. All of the education conferred upon the son, we are told, was done so upon the expressed assumption that “I do not confine the application which I recommend, singly to the view and emulation of excelling others…” In essence, the Lord conveys to his son a sense of an inherited privilege meant to elevate him above all in every possible domain.The striking use of anaphora (repetition) comes in as a close second in its importance to the passage as a whole in that it serves to emphasize the placement of the Lord as an authority figure in his son’s life, not to be questioned. He was frightened that his son was going to make the same mistakes he made while he was a youth and so, he had to warn him in advance of what awaits him.

He uses metaphors in his warnings just to emphasize his points. Chesterfield also understands the detachment from youth that comes with age, yet pleads, “I can have no interest but yours in the advice I give you.” By immediately establishing his purpose and being open to a hesitant reaction from his son, Chesterfield is wisely anticipating the said reaction, and by doing so, hoping to enrapture his son in the letter.The author continually tries to emphasize his care without coming across as a doting and bothersome parent. Do you notice how this sentence fits into this antithetical pattern?Chesterfield develops this appeal most strongly beginning at the end of the first paragraph.

This rather forceful suggestion does not agree with his aforementioned point of view, “as a friend.” The Lord also expresses what values he expects from his son through his condescension.Chesterfield suggests that “(his son’s) shame and regret must be greater than anybody’s, because…of your education…and opportunities.” The implication here is that as his son was so fortunate in his upbringing and preparation for life, he should excel in every aspect of it.

Today, Lord Chesterfield is best known for the four hundred or so letters to his son collected and published without his prior knowledge or approval as Letters to His Son on the Art of Becoming a Man of the World and a Gentleman. Print. I do not, therefore, so much as hint to you, how absolutely dependent you are upon me; that you neither have, nor can have a shilling in the world but from me; and that, as I have no womanish weakness for your person, your merit must, and will, be the only measure of my kindness. I do not confine the application which I recommend, singly to the view and emulation of excelling others (though that is a very sensible pleasure and a very warrantable pride); but I mean likewise to excel in the thing itself; for, in my mind, one may as well not know a thing at all, as know it but imperfectly. 8). Sayle, Charles Edward and Stanhope, Philip Dormer. The Lord is passing the torch to his son in a manner that he sees as best suiting his purpose.

His assertion is stated in a long sentence syntactically structured like this:As part of his logical appeal, Chesterfield also uses the device of antithesis.In his first paragraph, he uses two pairs of opposing ideas in the concession/assertion format to thoroughly trounce any possible objections his son may have to his advice:“Do not think that I mean to dictate as a parent VS I only mean to advise as a friend, as an indulgent one, too: do not apprehend that I mean to check your pleasures VS…I only desire to be the guide, not the censor.”Chesterfield uses this same rhetorical structure—of using antithesis to develop a concession and an assertion—in the rest of the letter. Do not think that I mean to dictate as a apparent;I only mean to advise as a friend, and an indulgent one too: and do not apprehend that I mean to check your pleasures; of which, on the contrary, I only desire to be the guide, not the censor. All rights reserved.

Chesterfield is suggestive and condescending in his language, and tone in the letter but his views are very clearly articulated. Then, in a well-written essay, analyze how the rhetorical strategies that Chesterfield uses reveal his own values.Though I employ so much of my time in writing to you, I confess I have often my doubts whether it is to any purpose.

Many of these farmers, braziers, blacksmiths and etcetera passed the long arduous hours of manual labor by daydreaming of freedom, adventure, excitement and most of all landownership in the New World.

29).

In this latter case, your shame and regret must be greater than anybody’s because everybody knows the uncommon care which has been taken of your education, and the opportunities you have had of knowing more than others of your age. I say, I do not hint these things to you, because I am convinced that you will act right, upon more noble and generous principles: I mean, for the sake of doing right, and out of affection and gratitude to me.I have so often recommended to you attention and application to whatever you learn, that I do not mention them now as duties; but I point them out to you as conducive, nay, absolutely necessary to your pleasures; for can there be a greater pleasure than to be universally allowed to excel those of one’s own age and manner of life?

George Strait Daughter Accident, Bank Street Program, Mustafa Al-kadhimi Cabinet, Midlothian High School Phone Number, Gajalee Sea Food Restaurant Menu, Prime Steakhouse Bellagio Prices, Best Vegetarian Restaurants London 2020, Ayahuasca Retreat Iquitos, Peru, Miami Vice Cursive Font, The Haunting Of Sharon Tate - Box Office, What Are Good Baseball Stats, Pictures Of Ghana Food, Sebastián Yatra Tini Instagram, Hayden Crawford Death, Polly Stoker Thor, Byblos Bank Opening Hours, How To Delete Podcast On Pandora, Mary Marsden 2020, Sonya Smith Husband, Albion College Alumni Directory, Merrifield Center Community Mental Health Fairfax, Va, Nellie Mckay Jimmy Dore, Nix Shampoo Cvs, Private Schools Near Hartford, Ct, Leslie Frazier Family, Replacement Cell For Pentair Intellichlor Ic40 (520555) - Generic Salt Cell Upgrade, Fiona Crombie Agent, Goodfellas BIRTHDAY Meme, Fire Nymph 5e, Elsa Dress Tesco, Flor Meaning In English, Berthoud Colorado Neighborhoods, María José Castillo Cooper, Diadem Snake Care, Wentworthville Library Opening Hours, Songs For You Tinashe Wiki, Ashton Dulin Highlights, Time Enough For That Little Caesar Lyrics, Textile Designer Salary Nyc, Mac Miller Love Songs, Predestination Paradox Vs Bootstrap Paradox, Gnome 5e Wikidot, Moody Blues - Tuesday Afternoon Lyrics Meaning, Bean Boozled Game,

Comments ( 0 )