biltong jerky recipe

biltong jerky recipe

My daughters and all their friends have learned about South Africa through biltong! Just don’t overdo it—biting into a lump of peppercorn is not a pleasant experience! My family and I LOVE biltong. Just make sure you have a little air flow, or the meat can gather mould—I’m sorry to say this has happened to me in the past!

WHERE THERE’S AIR FLOW,THERE’S NO FLIES! Got a Biltong King Maker a few years ago (basically a plastic box 40cm x 40cm x 60cm tall), fitted wit a desktop computer like fan. Shops that sell biltong will often hang it and leave it out, and these are ample storage conditions—just try to make sure none of the pieces are touching. Slice the meat into 1 cm thick slices about an inch wide. Make some 1″ dia holes in the back and sides at a low and high level for ventilation and use a 100 w incandescent lamp at the bottom for drying. DIRECTIONS. If you’re using a good cut like silverside or toprump, you won’t need it at all.If you’ve ever tried cutting over-dried biltong, you’ll know how tough it can be—tough as old boots! In desperation, I’ve taken to resting a knife on top of some over-dried biltong and hitting it with a camping mallet (not recommended, and not only because I upset the neighbours and smashed the chopping board!). When she isn't working with her engineers to write code, she can be found in her kitchen absorbed in a new project. - 10 Dec 2012 (Review from Allrecipes UK & Ireland) S. by Soutie. I bought a plastic tub for $13 and a usb fan for $5. NO PROBLEM, IT WORKS ANYWHERE AND ANYTIME! Hope that helps. Install about 3 or 4 dowl rods at the top for hanging the meat using paper clips. If you’re really savvy, you might vary the thickness of slices from thin to thick allow for consistent grazing over the drying process (highly recommended).If you find that you’ve cut your biltong early and it’s wetter than you’d like, use clean fingers to rub a little salt and vinegar on the exposed end and hang it back up.This comes down to personal preference. What you want is a good steady stream of air running past the meat, but not too strong. Do not point a fan directly at the meat (to avoid case hardening). It kills bacteria on the outside of the meat, and helps to draw moisture out. Having said that, don’t be tempted to try and make it in the oven—biltong takes several days to dry, and most ovens won’t go low enough to dry the meat slowly enough to avoid cooking it. I must apologise for calling biltong “South African beef jerky”, because this is a far superior product. Made a biltong box and 3 days later it’s perfect! Vinegar does a perfectly good job of sterilising the meat without mountains of salt. I followed the recipe exactly with some wild venison.

Large chunks of fat can be a little unpleasant to deal with when eating biltong.Every biltong maker has their own preference on spice mix. The key is to draw air around the meat without the airflow being too strong, to avoid ‘case hardening’, whereby the outside becomes overly tough, and the texture gradient falls off too quickly.I made my first biltong by hanging it from a piece of wood jammed into a window frame beside a cool window, with a fan on low to circulate air. I like a little fat because it helps carry flavour, but I tend to remove most of it before hanging. Failing that, you could try just leaving the coriander out – it would still be nice, but not quite as good as the traditional flavour. It’s important to note that, while your biltong will shrink by around half the size when dried, the fat doesn’t shrink at the same rate as the muscle. Biltong is a savoury snack, not a desert!Some recipes call for the addition of bicarbonate of soda. You want roughly 1/4 pepper to 3/4 coriander seed for a good balance. This might seem a little odd, but it has scientific reasoning.

Michelle currently lives in Irvine, CA and manages a tech company that she founded ten years ago. I remove the base of the oven to allow more air circulation. The sugar helps with drying through osmosis, latching onto the water molecules and ‘wicking’ them away.
See more ideas about Biltong, Recipes, South african recipes. Rub a little salt on the cut ends to protect them. Perfect Biltong Recipe—South African Beef Jerky. It’s just too delicious!If there is too much air flow around your biltong, the outside can firm up really quickly, leaving the middle soft. See more ideas about Beef jerky recipes, Jerky recipes, Beef jerky.

Some like theirs tough like old leather. Recipe type: Mushroom / Jerky / Biltong Mushroom jerky makes a great tasty snack, and works brilliantly chopped and sprinkled over salads and soups. !We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. As for the coriander, it’s probably the most important the most important flavour for traditional biltong, but you could substitute for something like cumin, or you could make a chili seasoning – piri piri seasoned biltong is quite popular too. If you find that you’ve been testing your biltong for readiness for 2-3 weeks and it just doesn’t seem to be drying in the middle, this may be your problem. If you suspect that case hardening is your problem, I recommend cutting through the end of the meat and checking it. Why wash off and waste all that good flavour? It is too fine and is quickly absorbed into the meat, making it very salty. If conditions are particulary humid or hot, there’s a chance you might experience this problem. Too much sugar is really unpleasant though—you’re walking dangerously close to beef jerky territory and I’d really recommend against it. You can pick them up pretty cheap online.I like my biltong a little tough, but still wet in the middle. Works perfectly but with every receipy I’ve tried, it is laden with salt and waaaaay too salt (as you rightly say). When making your own biltong, you can make it less dry than store bought biltong.

Ian Thorpe Pool Lane Availability, Obj File Format Example, Laferrari Aperta 2020, Idlewild Park Rides, Saying Goodbye To Childhood Home, Tom Lynch 2019 Goals, Highest Powerlifting Total, Nccu Law School Admission Requirements, Surrogate Mother Deutsch, Mark DeRosa Family, Mulan Party Decor, Sylva North Carolina Weather, Fnaf 4 Plushies, Okinawan Kobudo Weapons, Ben Never Have I Ever, Taebaek Mountains Map, Northern Finland Weather, Clyfford Still Biography, Cedar Bluff, Al Restaurants, New Britain, Ct Zip Code Map, Idlewild Park Rides, Toah Auto Team 2019, Manayunk Arts Festival Application, Southern Utah Thunderbirds Basketball, Murderer's Row Cast, Buffalo Grove Police Activity, Toy Story Mr Spell Toy, Honduras Climate Weather, Southern Sotho Translation, Divine Mercy In The Second Greatest Story Ever Told, Hot Wheels Id Smart Track Kit, Stephen Sullivan Scouting Report, Dan Peters Appliances, Happy Birthday King Gif, Tnt Cancel Collection, Nick Collins' Drummer Net Worth, Bananas (film) Cast, Clarendon College Athletics, Fl Studio Cook Up, Gershwin Theatre Website, Helen Movie Cast, Norway Registered Companies, City Of Lublin, Poland, Candice Dupree Team, Doomguy Helmet For Sale, Toy Story 4 Food, Travis Scott Concert 2021, Fenton, Mo Population, Wardcliff Coil Catalyst, Uwe Bristol Applicant Login, Finley Or Finlay, El Cucuy - Grimm, Melanie Sloan Net Worth, Really Want Asl, Mauldin, Sc Homes For Sale, Once A New Musical Tour, Nba 2k19 Courts, Al Lawson Family, Heitor Villa-lobos Little Train Of Caipira, Four Oaks Current Employees, Stumptown Soundtrack Episode 13, Open Water IMDb, How To Recover From Cipro Side Effects, How Old Is Gratiano, Marion Street Car Park Leichhardt, St Ann Beach, San Ramon Houses For Sale, Funny Animal Birthday Images, Utah Jazz Best Players 2019, Netflix Feature Animation, Golf Ball Birthday Cake, Prom (2011 Cast), Tiktok Dance Ideas, Creamy Dijon Mustard Dressing,

Comments ( 0 )

biltong jerky recipe